Omitir los comandos de cinta
Saltar al contenido principal
Golfo San Jorge

This is the largest hydrocarbon-producing basin. Because of our operations, the province of Chubut has become the main producer of this hydrocarbon.

Cerro Dragón

This is our main asset, and Argentina’s largest oilfield.

We took on the challenge to operate Cerro Dragón seeking to increase production and surpassing the expected indicators in terms of reserve replacement.

Anticlinal Funes, Piedra Clavada and Koluel Kayke

We operate these three blocks, located in the provinces of Chubut and Santa Cruz, which are developed thanks to the application of the most advanced techniques for mature fields.

With 25%, we participated in the development of Estancia La Escondida, an area located in the north of the Golfo San Jorge Basin, operated by Colhue Huapi.

Cerro Dragón is the largest hydrocarbon-producing block in Argentina
In 2016, our work in this basin produced the 19% of the oil produced in the country
In 2015, we produced 98,000 barrels of oil per day in Golfo San Jorge Basin, 41% more than in 2001
Cerro Dragón is the third largest gas producing block in Argentina
In 2016, we produced 9 million m3 of gas per day, three times more than in 2001
90% of our facilities in Cerro Dragón are automated
70% of the wells in Cerro Dragón produce oil and gas using secondary recovery techniques
Cerro Dragón is 17 times the size of Buenos Aires City
We have more than 3,800 production wells in the area
Neuquina Basin
We have operated this basin for the past 40 years, building upon the work of our predecessor, Bridas. Thanks to the promising resources coming from unconventional reservoirs (shale y tight), this basin is now held up as an example of innovation throughout the country and the world.
Lindero Atravesado

This block, with an area of 509 km2, gained additional momentum in 2013 with the development of unconventional reservoirs reaching depths of up to 4, 500 meters.

Pan American ENergy operates the areas, with a 62.5% participating interest, while YPF has the remaining 37.5%.

Currently, and with more than 1.1 billion dollars invested, we achieved a sevenfold increase in gas production within this block.

The development of this block requires different areas of the company to come together:
New Exploration Developments
In 2015 we conducted a 3D seismic campaign that covered 650 km2.
Drilling Program
The project involves drilling 104 new wells.
Surface Facilities
A significant plan was put in place to design and start up new surface facilities and to refurbish the existing ones in order to increase oil production:
  • Three new gas compression plants.
  • A new gas treatment plant.
  • A new battery.
  • A new, 23km-long gas pipeline.
Bandurria Centro
This oilfield, with an area of 130 km2, was awarded to Pan American Energy in 2015 for 35 years to develop an unconventional production project. The pilot project, with Vaca Muerta as the main objective, together with other gas development projects, estimates an investment of 304 million dollars until 2019. Pan American Energy has already installed the first equipment: well manifolds, separators and reception and storage tanks.
Aguada Cánepa
Together with partner Gas y Petróleo del Neuquén S.A. (GyP), in 2015 we developed a project to explore tight gas in the Lajas formation, to eventually produce hydrocarbons in this block. Pan American Energy is the majority stockholder, with 90%, and GyP has the remaining 10%.
Coiron Amargo Sureste
The project for this 141 km2 block includes the exploration of shale oil reservoirs from the Vaca Muerta formation and of tight gas reservoirs in Grupo Cuyo. In 2017, we began the works to introduce workover equipment and build road infrastructure. Pan American Energy will be the operator, with 55% participating interest. Madalena Energy will have 35% and the remaining 10% will belong to GyP.
Aguada Pichana Oeste and Aguada de Castro

In 2017, we started to operate these areas and we plan to drill some 30 wells until the year 2021. With an extension of 605 and 163 km2 respectively, these areas have great potential for development in the Vaca Muerta formation.

Noroeste Basin
This is one of the most challenging areas in the northwest of the country, not only because of the extreme depth of the reservoirs but also because of the complex orographic and geological factors. This fact is compounded by the presence of Yungas, which are highly sensitive to the surrounding environment.

Here, we operate Acambuco, a block formed by Macueta and San Pedrito gasfields, in conjunction with our partners.

MAC-1004 well

is the first well that produces hydrocarbons on two formations at the same time thanks to smart completion, i.e. it uses independent valves that regulate the water flow in each reservoir..

14 month

Duration of the project.


Persons worked on it.

620.000 m3

Increased the daily production.


Increased the production in this area.


We have a 52%

share in the block. YPF (22.5%), O&G (22.5%), Northwest Argentina (1.5%) and APCO Argentina (1.5%) are the other shareholders

5.700 meters

is the depth reached by some wells in the San Pedrito and Macueta blocks. The objective is to reach the reservoirs at Icla, Santa Rosa and Huamampampa formations


millions m3 of natural gas were produced per day in 2015, 100% more than in 2001
Marina Austral Basin

This is the largest gas basin in Argentina, which provides most of the country’s natural gas, serving as its main source of energy. The fields are found both onshore and offshore, and this implies the use of specific technologies to extract hydrocarbons located beneath the seabed. Here we are part of the CMA-1 Consortium, which operates some of the most promising fields, and we are currently at the beginning of the exploration stage.

Carina and Aries
Located 40 km and 80 km offshore Tierra del Fuego, respectively, these two gas fields are today the largest gas blocks in the country
Cañadón Alfa
Located to the north of the province of Tierra del Fuego, this block is found both onshore and offshore
Vega Pléyade
In 2016, the new Vega Pléyade oilfield was completed and started production with two wells, adding 8 million m3 of gas per day to production in the block

Pan American Energy holds a 25%

stake in the consortium. Our partners are Total Austral (37.5% - operator) and Wintershall (37.5%)

20.6 millions

m3 of gas per day were produced by this block in 2015, which represents that largest extraction of hydrocarbon in Argentina

The sea is 80 meters

deep in some of the areas that are drilled to produce natural gas
Tarija Basin
We have operated the Caipipendi block since 2000, which is located in the Tarija Basin southeast of Bolivia, to the northeast of the city of Tarija.
Margarita Field
Together with other companies that are part of a consortium, we have developed the Margarita gas pipeline.

The project involves several challenges, such as working in hard-to-access areas, and dealing with complex geology, hydrocarbons at great depth and an area of extreme environmental sensitivity. However, production of natural gas in the block has been higher than initially estimated.



is our participation in this consortium. Our partners are E&P Bolivia S.A. (37.5% - operator) and BG Bolivia Corporation (37.5%)

18,1 millions m3

of gas natural per day are produced in this block
Salina del Istmo Basin

Together with E&P Hidrocarburos y Servicios private company, we have been operating the Hokchi offshore field since 2016. The 40 km2 (4,000 hectares) block is located in the Salina del Istmo Basin, approximately 30 km (19 miles) off the coast of the State of Tabasco, in the Mexican Gulf of Mexico, at a depth of 30 meters.

In 2016, we started an Evaluation Plan that was completed in October 2017, 90 days before the due date. To achieve this objective, we drilled five wells in record time (instead of the four wells originally committed) and we started production tests in two of them. The results exceeded our expectation: the wells produced 2,000 and 4,000 barrels per day.

This represents yet another milestone in our history: PAE is the first private company to perform shallow-water drilling operations in 75 years in Argentina, and we were the first operators to complete the Evaluation Plan.

Based on the results obtained in the campaign, the next step is the Development Plan of the Hokchi Field.

Location of the Basins

Datos de mapas
Datos de mapas ©2018 Google
Datos de mapasDatos de mapas ©2018 Google
Datos de mapas ©2018 Google